Public Works Permits

General Information
Phone Numbers
Emergencies: Dial 911
Public Works Located at: 815 N Samson Trail
Public Works Mail Address: 216 E. Park Street
McCall ,

Friday 8AM to 12PM
8AM to 4PM M-TH

Welcome to the Public Works Permitting Information Page. Please find many answers to the most common questions below. 

Please note that your application must be complete, and the department will not process incomplete permit applications.
That means making sure to have all the required documentation at the time of submission.

No answers matched your search
Public Works Permit FAQs
What is a Permit?

A permit grants the holder authorization to perform specific construction and excavation work. The permit identifies the party responsible for overseeing and completing all work performed within the City’s rights-of way or public property.  It also assures that party is properly insured and bonded to cover any damages that occur to public or private property.  

If you engage in construction work in the public right of way without an approved permit you may be charged with a misdemeanor and/or fined $300.00.

What are the specific requirements and restrictions of a Public Works Permit?

1.  Complete application with all applicable information.

2.  Must have a copy of site plan attached: (a) must be to scale and dimensioned, (b) indicate North arrow, (c) driveway location & dimension, (d) water location, (e) other utilities.

3.  Driveway Location must be marked prior to initial inspection. Maximum driveway width is 20ft. within the city's right of way for a single family residence.

4.  Property pins adjacent to the roadway must be marked prior to initial inspection by the City.

5.  Property address must be posted and visible from roadway.

6.  Submit a copy of current general liability policy (if not already on file with the City).  Certificate needs to show at least $500,000.00 Personal Injury and $1,000,000.00 General Aggregate naming the City of McCall as Additional Insured.

7.  Submit a copy of current Right of Way bond policy in the amount of at least $7500 or the value of the work being performed in the ROW. (The bond shall be issued for no less than 36 months from the date of this application.)  Continuous bond is preferred.  Not applicable for Private Roads

8.  Any lane or road closure will require a TRAFFIC CONTROL PLAN.

9.  Water Infrastructure Worksheet completed prior to Public Works Permit being issued (New Construction and Remodels Only).

What are the permit fees?

  • Public Works Permits on Public Roads $520.00 (Resolution No. 22-17) this includes New Construction, Driveways, Excavation etc. within a City's Right Of Way.
  • Public Works Permits on Private Roads $285.00 (Resolution No. 22-17) this includes New Construction and Work Associated with City Water Infrastructure in a Private Right of Way.

How can I apply online?

Click the link below apply online:

Public Works Permit Application

Why are you required to permit your work with the City of McCall’s Public Works Department?

The purpose of the permit system is to ensure compliance with current City Code and safety standards.  More importantly, the permit system ensures that individuals completing work within the public’s property are properly insured and bonded against damages or accidents to public and private property that can and do occur when work is performed.  Lastly, The City Council has authorized a permit fee structure to cover only the costs of inspections and administration of the permitting process.  

Why am I required to have both Liability Insurance AND a Right of Way Bond naming the City of McCall?

The permittee and any successor agree to hold harmless, defend and indemnify through properly acquired Liability Insurance and ROW Bond the City of McCall.  Repairs necessary to the Public Right of Way due to any work or occupancy shall be the responsibility of the permittee.  There will be both a 12-month and a 24-month Public Works inspection performed following all permitted activities to ensure the endurance of the work that has taken place.

How do I obtain a Public Works Permit?

You can apply on line by clicking here - Public Works Permit  or you can download a permit application by clicking on the link below. Once it is completed  and all of the requirements on the permit are met (site plan, contractor information, insurance and payment) and it has been signed, you can submit the application package either in person at the Public Works department Office located at 815 N. Sampson Trail in McCall, by mail to: 216 E. Park Street, McCall, Idaho, 83638 or electronically to

McCall Public Works Permit Application pdf

Does a permit ever expire?

If work is not completed within the time frame stated on the permit application, it will be necessary to formally update the Public Works Permit with the Public Works Department.  

When can I complete work the within the City’s ROWs that has been permitted?

Typically, the City will allow work to commence within the City’s ROWs between May 1st and October 15th.  However, cold/freezing spring and fall weather may restrict this time frame.  Requests to complete work outside of these dates must receive prior authorization from the Public Works Director or Street Superintendent.

Where can I find details and standards for working in the City's Right of Way?

Find details and standards here>

Where can I find Utility Billing forms?

Utility Billing forms can be found here>

Who can I call with questions not answered here?

McCall Public Works Department is happy to answer any additional questions you have.  Please use the following contact information below.

Cris Malvich, Streets Superintendent email: Office: 208-634-8946

Jodi Weaver, Public Works Administrative Coordinator email: Office: 208-634-8945 

Where can I find Water Meter Requirements?

Water Meter Requirements

Do I have to have water meter installation prior to the footing inspection?