Short-Term Rental Information Center


Did You Know?

The City adopted new codes regarding Short-Term Rentals (STR) within the City of McCall, effective October 01, 2022.

City Code Title 3.13.036, 3.13.09 and Title 4.13 (Click Here to view code) specifies requirements of short-term rentals.
All short-term rentals operating in the McCall city limits are required to have a Short-Term Rental Permit. Please note, if you have an existing business license, this is  not the application you will fill out. You will update your information at the time of your renewal. 
The application fee is $225. Click Here for application.
A posting of rules is required by the new code. Here is a sample Short-Term Rental Guidelines Form (Click Here) for posting in each unit.
If the short-term rental unit’s maximum occupancy is 11 or more persons, a Conditional Use Permit is required prior to obtaining a short-term rental permit.

A Fire, Health and Safety inspection from the McCall Fire District will need to be completed in 2023. The fee for the annual inspection is $270 and will be paid through the City of McCall. The fee includes your initial inspection and one follow-up inspection if the rental does not pass the initial inspection. Follow-up inspections need to be completed within 30 days of initial inspections. Inspections in addition to the first two will cost an additional $75. To schedule a phone call with the Fire Prevention Officer, Ryan Garber, Click Here. To schedule your Fire, Health and Safety Inspection Click Here. The Safety Pre-Inspection Check Sheet can be found here. More information available on Instagram  and YouTubeClick Here for the McCall Egress Window Requirements. 

A bedroom will be defined as a fully enclosed portion of a building designed or intended to be used for sleeping purposes, including a closet, door that can be closed, and an emergency escape and rescue opening, as defined by the International Fire Code. Final determination of allowable sleeping areas will be determined by the Fire Prevention Officer. 

Items to Have Ready for Completing Your Application

Here is a list of items you will want to gather for completing your STR Permit Application.

A dimensioned floor plan of the unit, indicating the name and use of each room and location of all egress doors. Click Here for example.

A site plan of the property including the location and number of parking spaces and parking access. Parking spaces cannot be in excess of the number of bedrooms in the rental. Click Here for instructions on how to make a site plan.  

Name, contact information and signature of a local contact person (if different from owner) able to respond within 60 minutes, 24 hours a day 7 days a week while the unit is being rented to any reported complaints or violations. 

A list of the mailing addresses and a copy of the letter sent to property owners within a 300-foot radius of your STR unit providing them with the name and contact information of the local contact person, maximum occupancy of the unit and the number of vehicles allowed to be parked. See the map link under helpful resource links below for instructions on obtaining addresses for your mailing.

Proof of established solid waste, refuse and rubbish removal service (trash bill). 

Short-Term Rental Permit Information

Short-Term Rental Permit Requirement

By City Code Title 4.1.1 (Click Here to view code), an active Short-Term Rental (STR) Permit (Click Here) is required to operate a short-term rental in the City of McCall. This requirement does not extend to the McCall Impact Area. All short-term rentals within the McCall Impact Area are required to submit a declaration of compliance. It is the responsibility of the homeowner to hold the STR Permit as well as collect and remit the taxes for any rental units they operate if the tax is not being handled by a third party.

Local Option Tax Information

Description and Purpose/Use: In addition to the 3% Lodging Local Option Tax, all lodging within the McCall City limits is subject to the 1% sales tax and the additional 3% tax designated to street projects (effective January 1, 2016 through December 31, 2026) for a total of 7% sales tax collected under the Local Option Tax. This includes all hotels, motels, bed and breakfasts and short-term rentals of homes, condos, etc. The money from the 3% Lodging Local Option Tax is received and then distributed to winning grant applicants for projects directly benefiting the quality of life and/or tourism in McCall. The 3% Lodging Local Option Tax went into effect January 1, 2019 and will remain in effect until December 31, 2028. Click Here for more Local Option Tax information.

Tax Collection: All STRs must display their STR Permit in each rental unit showing authorization to collect the Local Option Taxes. It is the responsibility of the owner of the lodging establishment to ensure the tax is being collected and remitted to the City of McCall. The tax can be paid either monthly, quarterly, or annually (fiscal year end September 30). Airbnb, VRBO, Evolve, and some property management/vacation rental companies collect and remit the taxes for the owner of the STR. It is up to the owner to make sure the tax is being collected and remitted on their behalf, otherwise it is the owner’s responsibility to remit. This includes taxes for reservations taken not using a listing or management company.

Land Use Code Requirements for Short-Term Rental Units 

City Code Title 3.13.036 (Click Here) specifies additional requirements of short-term rentals and a posting of those rules is required at each unit in view of the renters. A sample Short-Term Rental Guidelines Form (Click Here)  for posting in each unit is available for use. If the short-term rental unit’s maximum occupancy is 11 or more persons, a Conditional Use Permit (Click Here) is required prior to obtaining a STR Permit. For questions regarding the land use requirements, contact the City Planner.

Questions & Complaints
Do you have additional Questions? 

Short-Term Rental and Tax Questions

Amanda Payne
Local Option Tax & Short-Term Rental Compliance Administrator

Conditional Use Permit Questions

Brian Parker
City Planner


Do you have a complaint?

If you have a complaint about a short-term rental in your area, please first reach out to the rental's local contact person or property manager. They are allowed 60 minutes in which to rectify the problem. If the problem is not resolved after contacting the local contact or property manager, or if you were not provided the number for a local contact or property manager, complete our short-term rental complaint form. Please allow 3 business days for a response. Please note that STRs in operation prior to October 1, 2022 have until December 31, 2023 to come into compliance with allowable occupancy numbers.

Forms & Application Links
Helpful Resource Links

Short-Term Rental Permit Application
Click Here for the Short-Term Rental Permit Application
 (required for Short-Term Rentals inside city limits but not the Impact Area)

Local Option Tax Voucher
Required for Short-Term Rentals inside city limits not remitting through a third party
Local Option Tax Voucher - Click Here
Conditional Use Permit Information & Application
Required for all Short-Term Rentals with an occupancy of more than 11.
Conditional Use Permit Application - Click Here
Conditional Use Permit Application Deadlines - Click Here

If you are in need of accommodations for completing any form or application please contact the City Clerks Department at 208-634-7142.

Homes in the Impact Area
Is your Short-Term Rental in the McCall Impact Area? Please complete the Declaration of Compliance. You do not have to complete the STR Permit process. 

Is your vacation rental inside City limits or the Impact Area? Click Here to find out

Map - Click Here - Locate your Neighbors Contact information - click the map link. Agree to terms and conditions. Enter the address of your rental. Select the apply a search distance checkbox. This will draw a circle around all addresses within 300 feet of your property. NOTE: Notices to address within 300 foot radius MUST BE MAILED to the MAILING ADDRESS of the owner of the property. The easiest way to get the mailing addresses of property owners is through a title company. You can also obtain this information from the county assessors map - Click Here. Search the physical address and select that parcel. A box will appear that contains the mailing address.

Title 3.13.036 & 3.13.09 - Click Here

Short-Term Rental Guidelines Form - Click Here

Click Here for Frequently Asked Questions

"Be a Good Neighbor" downloadable and printable flyer