Building Department Frequently Asked Questions

General Information
C.E.D. Director
Michelle Groenevelt
E.D. Planner
Delta James
Building Official
John Powell
City Planner
Brian Parker
Permit Tech
Rachel Santiago-Govier
Phone Numbers
Emergencies: Dial 911
216 E Park Street

No answers matched your search
Do I need a Building Permit?

In general, yes. Please contact the Building Official or Permit Tech to verify.

What requires a permit? Some examples are:
  • New buildings
  • Remodels and Additions
  • Interior remodels that involve new walls/moving walls, structural repairs or rebuilding, new insulation, etc.
  • Garages
  • Fences
  • Sheds greater than 200 sq ft
  • Demolition of structures
  • Signs (with power or free-standing) 
  • Retaining walls over 48" 
  • Re-roofs
  • Site grading, grubbing, tree removal
What is exempt from a building permit? Some examples are:

Sheds under 200sf (residential) or 120sf (commercial)
Remodels/Refurbishing that are finish work only (including painting, tiling, carpeting, cabinets, non-structural, etc.)

What if it is a Patio Cover/Awning or Pergola?

Any structure attached to another structure, regardless of size, requires a permit.

Does the City of McCall require a Building Permit to remodel an existing house?

Yes. The building code states a Building Permit is required to erect, construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, improve, remove, convert or demolish any structure. A Building Permit is not required when repainting a structure. Windows do not need permits provided the size of the window openings will not change; enlarging the size or changing location will require a permit. Re-siding the entire structure requires a building permit. Doors require a building permit only if the size of the opening is being altered or expanding.

I want to put in a deck, what is required?

Decks over 200sf, attached or detached require a permit. Decks over 30" off the ground require a permit.  Any deck 30” above finish grade requires guard rails.

Does the City of McCall require a Building Permit to re-roof an existing structure?

Yes. A Roof Permit is required for re-roofing of all projects.

Does the City of McCall require a Building Permit for a fence?

Yes. Fence permits are avaliable online or at City Hall. Fences cannot be greater than four feet in height within 20 feet of the front property line and cannot excede 6 feet in height elsewhere. Chainlink fences are not permitted.

What are the requirements to pour a concrete slab?

Typically, a permit is not required for a slab-on-grade. However, slabs in buildings with required rebar or radiant heating tubes should be inspected.

Does the City of McCall require a Building Permit for a Manufactured Home?

Yes. A manufactured home requires a Building Permit. The Building Official will require the same site information required from an applicant seeking a building permit for a single family dwelling.

Can I remove trees from my property?

That depends. Tree removal is limited to 20% of the trees per lot and removal of any tree 12 inches in diameter or greater requires approval from the City Arborist.