ELECTION UPDATE: In the May 2020 Election for the McCall Public Library Bond, the initiative failed to pass with a super-majority but saw overall favor with the community. Read more: https://www.mccall.id.us/news/post/9299/
The Library is the heart of a healthy, vibrant community! In a recent survey, respondents celebrated the Library’s key role as a community gathering space and in furthering education, life-long learning, and literacy. The growth of McCall and in the use of our Library means we are bursting at the seams!
The Expansion Design: Consultants evaluated the existing facility and evaluated its programmatic needs for the next 20 years, and recommend the current Library be expanded to 12,000 - 15,000 square feet.
- The first floor includes a large Children’s Library featuring activity areas and a designated storytime space recalling area history. It also incorporates an outdoor discovery garden to the south and large storefront windows to the north.
- The new Library design features prominent display space for books, technology, and exhibitions, as well as space for community programs.
- A teen space would provide a quiet place just for adolescents. An adjacent conference room would be available to patrons as well as for use by the teens.
- A spacious staff work area and service desk, adjacent to the Children’s Library and the main entry, promote efficiency.
- Infrastructure was designed to accommodate technology needs, user comfort, and sustainability.
- The new Library sits at the end of 2nd Street and would offer dramatic views of Payette Lake and from the Lake to the Library.
- The existing library will be renovated into larger City Council Chambers, offices, and Community Meeting spaces.
- A new Civic Plaza formalizes the entry to both buildings as a gathering place for events and provides much-needed ADA compliance.
- The City Hall Campus is reconfigured to improve parking and enhance the pedestrian/bike trail.