Building Department Frequently Asked Questions

No answers matched your search

In general, yes. Please contact the Building Official or Permit Tech to verify.

  • New buildings
  • Remodels and Additions
  • Interior remodels that involve new walls/moving walls, structural repairs or rebuilding, new insulation, etc.
  • Garages
  • Fences
  • Sheds
  • Demolition of structures
  • Signs (with power or free-standing) 
  • Retaining walls over 48" 
  • Re-roofs
  • Site grading, grubbing, tree removal

Sheds under 200sf (residential) or 120sf (commercial)
Remodels/Refurbishing that are finish work only (including painting, tiling, carpeting, cabinets, non-structural, etc.)

Any detached structure over 200 sq. ft. requires a building permit and must meet setbacks. This includes sheds and outbuildings.

Any structure attached to another structure, regardless of size, requires a permit.

Yes. The building code states a Building Permit is required to erect, construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, improve, remove, convert or demolish any structure. A Building Permit is not required when repainting a structure. Windows do not need permits provided the size of the window openings will not change; enlarging the size or changing location will require a permit. Re-siding the entire structure requires a building permit. Doors require a building permit only if the size of the opening is being altered or expanding.

Decks over 200sf, attached or detached require a permit. Decks over 30" off the ground require a permit.  Any deck 30” above finish grade requires handrails.

Yes. A Building Permit is required for re-roofing of all projects.

Yes. Fence permits are avaliable online or at City Hall. Fences cannot be greater than four feet in height within 20 feet of the front property line and cannot excede 6 feet in height elsewhere. Chainlink fences are not permitted.

Typically, a permit is not required for a slab-on-grade. However, slabs in buildings with required rebar or radiant heating tubes should be inspected.

Yes. A manufactured home requires a Building Permit. The Building Official will require the same site information required from an applicant seeking a building permit for a single family dwelling.

That depends. Tree removal is limited to 20% of the trees per lot and removal of any tree 12 inches in diameter or great requires approval from the City Arborist.